Thursday 17 March 2011

My name is Turtle.

Today I walked into Vancouver Technical Secondary School, where I volunteer as a tutor, and a student promptly approached and informed me that she had decided to rename me "Turtle". Apparently my slowness, stubby limbs, and heavy carapace possessed uncanny resemblances to those of the lazy reptiles'. Go figure. Anyway, here's my proper attempt at Day 3 of the Blog Challenge. Wasn't that an excellent segue?

Day 3 - Eight ways to win your heart (in no particular order)


1) Be compassionate and willing to serve others. I can't not love you if you have love for those around you, especially if you have a love for the less fortunate and are willing to do your part to be a blessing to them.

2) Love children and be good with them. I think it speaks volumes about you if you have the patience, understanding, kindness, creativity, and willingness to be around kids and enjoy their company.

3) Be able to rough it and give up your creature comforts, whether for a good cause (mission work for example), for fun (like camping), or just because (perhaps your toilet failed and you are forced to defecate into a hole in your backyard, who knows).

4) Be sure of yourself. Don't be afraid to stand firm for what you believe in, fight for what you know is right, and take charge when the situation calls for it.

5) Be respectful towards elders, others, me, and most importantly yourself.

6) Realize that I have a horrible memory and be graceful about the fact that I just might tell you the same story four times. Also, be graceful about the fact that I might forget your birthday, your number, and occasionally your name... In all seriousness, this one is about accepting my faults in general.

7) Motivate me to be a better person. This one is to be used in conjunction with number 6. More importantly than just accepting my faults, motivate me to work on my shortcomings and push me to be the best me that I can be.

8) Be sanctified. "We are called to be in the world, but not of the world". Live a life that is set apart from the world knowing that you are chosen by God for His glory.


So here it is ladies! The much anticipated top-secret walk-through for how to win my heart. Ready? Annnnnnnnnnd...... GO! Commander JerBear signing off.

PS: I'm waiting!

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you are green or had a hard shell or cold blooded. =S
    Did it require alot of make up to cover all that green scaley skin? =P jk

    So, is it really that fun to go camping???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 your list. A lot. Good list :) Ladies, get set......

    Hahahaha. Awww J, I love that you're blogging so regularly! Enjoy reading your blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww your new name is Turtle! How old was the student? That's pretty funny in an endearing kind of way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Turtle! I like the turd item on your list. I mean, "third item". ...Same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this 10-days blog challenge is actually pretty good! Way to go Jerry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't Janet call you turtle at some point, Jerry?
    Also, your list looks remarkably similar to mine, which looks remarkable to Susan's resume of attributes. Good things definitely run in our family ;)

    ReplyDelete