Monday 21 March 2011

Sometimes I feel like the psalmist

of Psalms 69. The passage begins like this:

"Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My eyes fail, looking for my God..."

Let me pause here to amply warn you, my handful of dear readers, that if you are looking for the witty humor that prevailed in most of my previous posts (unless I have overestimated my wit), then perhaps you should reread the post titled "I have very dexterous...". This is a post about my walk with God, and my interpretation of His words.


The psalmist is crying out to God. It is easy to see that he is beyond troubled or upset; he is in mortal peril. Even as he calls for help, the floods and the miry depths are already claiming him, and though he is trying to reach for God, he has already reached exhaustion. This is often how I feel, especially in recent times. I can see that I am on the brink of destruction, yet I have no strength to run to God, no voice to call out to Him, and no sight with which to look for Him. What's more, the psalmist says, "I have come into the deep waters". Likewise, I have to confess, no matter how much I try deny it, that I have also come, by my own choice, into the deep waters; it is by my own doing that I am on this brink of destruction. That is called self-destruction, and anyone who destroys himself deserves the fruit of his labors. However, our God is good, and the psalmist continues:

"But I pray to you, O Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink."

Despite his surroundings and the situation at hand, the psalmist calls upon God's great love. He knows that God will rescue him from the mire and keep him from being claimed by the depths. It is his knowledge of this sure salvation that gives him confidence. God is good; His love is greater than great; His salvation is sure beyond all doubt. Because of our God, in times when I feel like the psalmist, about to be claimed by the depths - even if it is due to my own mistakes and flaws - I can call out to God and be sure of His salvation, because of His great love for me.


~ So I'll praise you God of earth and sky, how beautiful is Your unfailing love ~

2 comments:

  1. Great post J! His love overcomes all :) Look to Him, and He'll always deliver.

    I can say it's the one thing that keeps me moving forward when I'm struggling with something that is really holding me back. I think it's hard to put that trust in Him sometimes, but my faith always perseveres. His love never fails right? I'd always like to believe that He knows what is best for me. And wants the best for me.

    This post reminds me of the song Praise You in this storm.

    " And I'll praise you in this storm
    and I will lift my hands
    for You are who You are
    no matter where I am
    and every tear I've cried
    You hold in your hand
    You never left my side
    and though my heart is torn
    I will praise You in this storm "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! Ditto to what Tessa said. God's love is unconditional. He knows that we stumble and fall and get ourselves into messes, but his love and grace remains. Your post also reminds me of a song...

    Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture :D


    "Nothing can separate
    Even if I ran away

    I know I still make mistakes
    But You have new mercies for me everyday
    Your love never fails"

    ReplyDelete